Sunday, 26 February 2012

STRANGERS IN A COMMUNITY OF THE LIKEMINDED. THE SOCIAL TV REVOLUTION

In early 2008, I wrote a blog post on a concept I called "Strangers in a community of the likeminded". The concept at that time addressed the notion that for many sites there are only really conversations between the site and the individual visitor. There is no real community - the visitors are strangers in the dark, and often knew nothing about other people like them visiting the same website.

Since that time, we have seen a proliferation of social features added to sites that allow for community. We are now going to see a proliferation of social features added to TV, and a new revolution will explode across our screens.

Going forward the water-cooler TV conversation will take place whilst the show is on TV. Going forward you will know who else is watching TV with you, wherever they are. Going forward you can sit-back and be entertained, or lean-forward and participate, and share.

TV was the main medium that created 'strangers in a community of the likeminded', now its about to lose that tag in a big way.

Here are a few apps and technologies that are helping drive this revolution:

IntoNow from Yahoo



Miso

Introducing Miso Sideshows from Miso on Vimeo.




Google TV

10 comments:

Heather_London said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather_London said...

I agree wholeheartedly, interestingly it works best with a scheduled TV calendar which is seriously in conflict with IPTV etc! I guess it's the big budget appointment to view shows which will drive these exciting behaviours.

Mania said...

very interesting post,i have bookmarked it,i have a list of cheap driving school in Arlington,i wiill revist your blog.thanks…

International Company said...

"Its Very Informative and useful blog! plz contact us for high quality work of seo services provider

"

cert Killer said...

In my point of view You sure did put a new twist on something that Ive heard so much about. And How did you manage to make a blog that as smart as it is sleek?

Cert Killer said...

In my point of view You sure did put a new twist on something that Ive heard so much about. And How did you manage to make a blog that as smart as it is sleek?

link building services said...

Thanks for sharing. Its good to see fresh content always.

feng shui consultant said...

Hm I guess this is the big budget appointment to view the shows which will drive these exciting behaviors.

Anonymous said...

First off I would like to say terrific blog!
I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.

I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before
writing. I have had a tough time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there.
I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to
begin. Any suggestions or hints? Appreciate it!

Also visit my web-site :: Mario Lemieux Black Jersey

قمة الدقة said...

شركة قمة الدقة للخدمات المنزلية
شركة تسليك مجارى بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالقطيف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف