Sunday, 15 February 2009

KEYWORDS ARE DOORWAYS TO CONTENT AND ALL DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS PLANNING SHOULD START BY TARGETING ORGANIC SEARCH TRAFFIC

Here's a piece of news that's not going to surprise many of you: Google isn't disappearing any time soon. This means that pay-per-click media agencies will continue to grow, but this will also become an opportunity for creative agencies as well with a small re-adjustment in how we think about connecting with audiences. The Pew Internet & American Life Project research study last year reaffirmed the ever growing dominance of search:

"The percentage of internet users who use search engines on a typical day has been steadily rising from about one-third of all users in 2002, to a new high of just under one half (49%). With this increase, the number of those using a search engine on a typical day is pulling ever closer to the 60% of internet users who use email, arguably the internet’s all-time killer app, on a typical day."

You might be wondering - like I did - why the other 51% don't use search engines every day, but what is most interesting here is that 49% of your market is using keywords that indicate what they are interested in, what they might want to buy, and are reachable.

Keywords are doorways to content and desires. Creative agencies should be as focused on them as pay-per-click media agencies. I think we should start all digital planning as a project in search engine optimisation. Search is consumer desire digitally encoded - a lightning rod directly into the consumer zeitgeist. Work out what your audience is searching for and why, decide which keywords to target, and ruthlessly optimise the experience to map to these desires.

The only real anomaly in all of this is that creative agencies are all about demand creation, whilst search is about demand fulfillment, but if we catch the consumer at an exploratory stage - before product decisions have been made, then something all together different starts to happen. It takes a small re-adjustment in agency mindset to understand and exploit this, but the results could be huge.

6 comments:

Dhiren said...

Another excellent post Tony!

I completely agree with your views your on search and the insights that search analysis can deliver to planning. I also believe that search is all too often placed in a DR silo, agencies often do not use it creatively or effectively to gain insights into user journeys for planning outside of PPC and SEO.

Many of the new buzz monitoring tools available seem to be keyword driven and the best place to find those keywords has to be the search engines.

Perhaps I’m a bit biased as I have background in search , however, I am seeing a reoccurring trend in digital planning tools (Google Ad-planner) and monitoring tools that all seem to be keyword driven. These tools are potentially valuable to any agency which is involved in planning, and the art of using them effectively will require an understanding of effective keyword mining.

Tony Effik said...

Thanks for the comment Dhiren. I'm very much focussed on linking 'traditional digital', SEO, and social media at the moment.

Started reading yoru blog - enjoying it. I'll add it to my blogroll

Anonymous said...

Whats up! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you may have here on this post.
I shall be coming again to your blog for extra soon.

Also visit my page; seo warrior book review

Anonymous said...

Good day! I simply want to give a huge thumbs up for the good data
you’ve here on this post. I can be coming again to your
weblog for extra soon.

my website ... seohyun i got a boy photobook

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you’ve got here on this post.
I might be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.


My web-site :: 1 64 toy semi trucks

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the good information you have got right
here on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for extra soon.


Here is my web page: seo services hyderabad