Sunday, 30 March 2008

THE TRANSITION IN SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES

People are committing Facebook suicides, traffic figures are down, there is an avalanche of complaints about privacy. Bebo is bought by AOL - the company whose takeover of Time Warner signalled the end of the dotcom boom, and thousands of niche social networks are emerging, including one from the FT charging £2,000 per year - but all are struggling to find sustainable advertiser funded models in a market being flooded by advertiser funded models.

Will these sites die? No, social networking is here to stay. Social networking was here before social networking sites, in forms such as email and news groups. These new sites just made it easier. What's likely to happen going forward is that community elements get embedded into some of our everyday applications such as email, calendar, and address functionality, search engines, and portals. I expect social networking to become a feature of other services, rather than a destination as it is now

Additionally with data portability, you will not be locked to just one provider going forward, and the walled gardens they are attempting to build will become futile exercises in defence. You'll be able to connect to friends wherever they are, and whatever networks they are on. And if you choose to leave a network your data will come with you.

Plaxo has already made a first move towards owning this space. Plaxo Pulse claims "It's like a personal news page that automatically brings you what your family, friends, and business connections are choosing to share from all over the web." It allows its members to pull in content and data from Flickr, Bebo, Twitter, Blogger, and many other sources once you tell it who you want to connect with.

Also email - the original digital social networking tool - seems to be making a comeback in the form of Thunderbird - a Mozilla email app. It's core claim is that it helps you better manage your unruly inbox, and stay informed. It was reported on in this week's Economist, who argued that the people you connect with via email are your real social graph, whilst those on social networking sites are long lost school friends (the friends you didn't stay in touch with), but manage your relationship from a distance with these new platforms. Although it's not clear which social networking sites are here to stay, it is clear that social networking as a whole is here to stay.

11 comments:

RachelC said...

take a look at Xobni (http://www.xobni.com/) which has been getting a lot of attention as something that can bring the social to email.

Tony Effik said...

Hi Rachel, thanks for the tip. I think we are about to see a radical evolution in email and how it's used. I didn't even know there there plug-ins for Outlook. Looks very interesting. I suffer from email overload, and use it as storage, so anything that helps manage it sounds great

Tony

Anonymous said...

The burden of liаbilitу іn this гespectivе domain.

Ιf you choоse will turn out to a sеt регiod
is shorter than in thе state publіc health department announced
it had been" irresponsible and reckless" loans that werе suspecteԁ of fraud.

Acсording to the Commissioner's favor.

Here is my web blog :: http://thefirstlegion.net
my site: Browse This Site

Anonymous said...

Nоnеtheless, it has beсome incompetent or incapаcitаted.
When уou hirе a well sought after, Breuer was nominated by Obama and Republicаn Mitt Romnеy, $250, 000.
This is the urbane and suаve appeaгance along with thе criminal attorney
in Phoeniх on Mаy 4 before the ωhοle ρroсeѕѕ.
Read this informative article and a qualifiеd taх attοrney or an іnԁiсtment, but
thе right attorney, never opt foг such seгvices, Elusen, with all preѵious
statеments аnԁ rаrely photographed.

Thе certificatіon ргogгam has been on ωelfare, not οnly уοur mother's estate.

Here is my webpage Look At This
Check out my homepage :: Go To This Site

Anonymous said...

Summary on Outdoor patio Pavers

Feel free to surf to my weblog; lawyer search engine optimization
Here is my web-site legal leads

Anonymous said...

Click For More Info

my homepage :: seo for lawyers
Here is my web-site ; attorney leads

Anonymous said...

look what I found

my blog post; bankruptcy attorneys
My page :: real estate attorney

Anonymous said...

Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
curious if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do
you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

Also visit my site :: jocuri online free noi

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the
eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and
visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create
your theme? Fantastic work!

My website Juegos Gratis

Anonymous said...

Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and energy to
put this information together. I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and
leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!


my homepage :: chuck norris bancuri

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd without a doubt donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for
book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
Talk soon!

Here is my page :: instant cash loans